Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Stress test




Today I got to have a stress test done. Of course I wasnt lucky enough to get to wear a sports bra. I had to do it with just a paper gown wrapped around me.. It was quite interesting. First they swab you down with alcohol, then they take this stuff I didnt get a good look to see what exactly it was. It was either some kind of tape or some kind of razor but they slashed it across my chest and around my breast and along side of my stomach so quick and it really hurt. I think it was for removing any hair so they can put the leads on and have them stick good. It felt like she was taking a piece of rough sand paper and rubbing it over me.. 5 hrs later and I still have these scrape marks all over my chest. It looks like I got in a fight with a cat. Oh man right after she finished and got the leads on, my skin felt like it was on fire. The area was stinging and I thought I was having some kind of allergic reaction. Crazy I know!!! Anyways I did pretty good I think until I got to level 5 of the test. See they are striving to get your heart rate up to 159 based on my age and weight and being a runner I am pretty well conditioned (at least as far as my heart goes) so it took more levels to get my heart rate up fast enough which is a good thing... But by level 5 I was running and breaking a sweat and while your trying to hold on to the handle bar and run the nurse is trying to take my blood pressure plus your running on an incline so it was kinda hard. I only ran 14 min but I was tired by then and had reached my heart rate and kept it there for about 3 min and I said ok we can stop now.. By then I had sweat rolling down my head and face and I was glistening everywhere.. How embarassing!! After reviewing it with the Dr. she said I had an almost perfect test except one area that had some diffrent thing going on but that since I didnt make any complaints during that area that it was probably nothing to worry about.. I was supposed to be hooked up to a heart monitor to wear for 24 hrs after the stress test but they decided they would let me go home first and shower and freshen up and then go back in the morning and get the monitor put on then.


Now you guys are probably wondering why I am having these tests done... Well over the past year I have been experiencing heart palpatations and flutters so a few weeks ago they decided to do an EKG on me and said that I have a short PR whatever that means and that most peoples measure between 120 - 140 and mine was 102 so they said it was probably nothing and that I appear to have a healthy heart but where I am a runner they just wanted me to be checked out. So I guess they are trying to figure out why mine is a little faster then normal but nothing major and everything looks good so far.. I have to have an echo cardiogram next week and then a follow up with the Dr to discuss results. And of course now that I am having tests done my heart has not had any palpatations for several days now.. Isnt that how it always works. I kinda hope something does happen in the 24 hrs that I am wearing the monitor just so they can see exactly what it is doing so I can feel more at ease but it probably wont.. They tend to come and go. Sometimes I will have alot and some days I have none..


Anyways thats my crazy story for today.. The kids have school off tomorrow so we are so excited we get to sleep in tomorrow and relax. I cant wait until Fri I am going down to stay in Philadelphia with a friend of mine so we can go to the time out for women confrence on sat. I hear this is the most awesome confrence out there for women. Very spiritual and uplifting. I cant wait. It will be a nice girls night out!!




Happy Hump Day everyone!!! The week is half way over... Yeah!!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Holy Cow! A stress test, how stressful! I can't believe you had to do it in a paper gown. I hope everything goes well. Can't wait to hear about your Women's conference.

Boyds said...

holy cow girl , i hope all is well with you. have hope you had fun at time out for women. i have heard the same things from people who go.

Jodi Gallagher said...

That is crazy! Hope all is well. I don't thik I could have run more than 3 minutes.... I hope you have fun at the time out for woman!